Friday, August 1, 2014

After reading Rant of the Day: Plastic Bag Ban, I understood a little more about the negative effects of plastic bags. In the blog I gathered that Lily's argument was that plastic bags are a large factor in our deteriorating environment. I somewhat agree with her statement especially after reading the effects it has on our ecosystems and human lives. She gives great evidence to support her argument.
In the second paragraph there is a transition to human use and bag bans in Austin. There are two main assumptions that I do not agree with. For example, "Citizens are opposed to the bag ban because of ignorance." As a manager for HEB, I listen to people from out of town and Austin residents complain about how much of an inconvenience it is to bring your bag. HEB has an emergency bags option that for a $1 you can use as many older plastic bags as you need for your order. Many customers have picked up on this option and will forget their bags on purpose. Not just because they want to be ignorant, but because they reuse these bags for other things. Honestly I believe majority of the time us as humans are lazy and forgetful. There was minimal evidence showing whether or not bag bans are successful. The credibility would have made the argument a lot stronger.
Secondly, I do believe to a sense that humans crave instant gratification. Although, I do not believe it was used in the right context. It takes away from the argument and changes the direction in which it was developing.
Overall Lily does a great job targeting the more liberal audience she is writing for. As a conservative the argument and evidence does not persuade me to reduce my use of plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment